Their football teams are goal-scoring legends, their musicians are convention-smashing creatives, and their scientists changed the world: Manchester is the home to the best of Britain.
What’s more, it’s a great place to start your journey around England with tours from Manchester. Travel to North Wales and discover their magnificent mountains and castles. Or head to the Peak District and enjoy the rural sights and famous delights. As a central hub, trips from Manchester open a world of possibilities for its guests.
- Manchester is home to Chetham’s Library, the oldest public library in the English speaking world.
- In 1903, the Women’s Social and Political Union was founded in Manchester by political activist Emmeline Pankhurst, an important step in the Suffragette movement.
- The benefits and interest in vegetarian diet was founded in Salford in 1847.
- John Rylands Library is a neo-gothic wonder you won’t want to miss when roaming Manchester. With its vaulted ceilings and incredible windows, this library is closer to a cathedral.
- From the National Football Museum to the Science and Industry Museum, you’ll find a museum for you no matter your interests.